Our "Not Fixed" Plan....Everchanging!
We suppose, like most travelers, especially those with limited holiday time or budgets, that the whole planning exercise is one you either throw yourself into with some great relish or you simply pass it to your local friendly travel agent to organise for you. From the outset our idea was going to be very different. This of course being shaped by the fact that we were very fortunate to have no real time constraints and the only real limitation would be our physical abilities..... climbing Kilimanjaro or Everest? Nope... not on the agenda! Our primary focus was to try and reach as many places as we could on our "must visit" list by travelling overland. To get to the stage where we had some clearer notion of what route we would be taking took us almost a year to achieve...and then of course in true "overlander" style, it changed again... and again... and again!
The Blonde has always been happy for me to do the in depth travel planning and likewise I have always been happy to take it on. I love maps! There I have said it. Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by them and The Times World Atlas was a very special book for me when I was young, along with all the maps I could find in the Encyclopaedia Britannica and my Knowledge magazines. In fact, I liked geography more than any other subject at school. Therefore, even in this new digital age where everything is available to you online in an instant via an App or a website, I am still very happy to pore over maps and plan routes in paper form before then referring back to that magic App or Google/Apple Maps. One of the most important things for us when planning this adventure was that we should be able to take time out whenever we wished to...stop and stay. The only limitation we both agreed upon was that we must travel with the warmer seasons, neither of us appreciate the cold, and also that we take the advice from "locals" to make sure we see everything that appeals.
Since we started our travels our plan has changed... again and again and again. There have been many influrences on this. New found friends in the various places we have travelled so far, helping us to find places we would probably have never discovered by ourselves. Being seduced by the amazing National Parks and State Parks in the USA... they are without rival anywehere we have travelled so far. Being introduced by fellow overlanders either by chance meetings or through their blogs to places that had not even appeared on our radar. And finally...the limitations placed on us by our vehicle which determined certain places we could and could not get to.
So, here in it's entirety, is the nearest thing we have to a travel plan......it started out as a "five year plan" and has changesd...again and again and again!
It continues to be a work in progress but at least it provides us and you with a rough outline of where we would like to be at certain times of the year...even if the years may change. Of course as Mr. Lao says above if we are not intent on "arriving"...then maybe we just carry on "earthroaming"!
Explore, Dream & Discover!
THE STORY SO FAR:
JUNE 2014/NOVEMBER 2019
- June/July/August - UK & Ireland/Sicily
- September 2014 - collected Big Henry in Denver, Colorado
- October 2014 - Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Washington
- November/December 2014 - Oregon & California
- January/February 2015 - Arizona/New Mexico
- March - Nevada/Utah/Colorado
- April 2015 - Return to UK for one month
- May/June/July 2015- British Columbia/Yukon/Alaska
- August 2015 - British Columbia/Vancouver Island/Oregon
- September 2015 - Nevada/Utah
- October 2015 - Utah/Arizona - Return to UK
- November/December 2015 - Argentina
- January/February 2016 - Chile/Argentina
- March/April 2016 - Australia
- May 2016- Australia & UK
- June 2016 -Arizona/Utah/Colorado
- July 2016 - Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba
- August/September - 2016 - Minnesota/Missouri/Ontario/Ohio/Virginia/Kentucky
- October - 2016 - Kansas/Colorado
- November/December 2016 - Seville, Spain
- Christmas 2016 - UK
- January 2017 - UK
- February/March 2017 - Tenerife & Lanzarote
- April/May/June/July 2017 - UK
- August/November 2017 - Western Australia
- December/January 2018 - South Australia
- February 2018 - Thailand
- April 2018 - UK
- May 2018 - California/Colrado and Wyoming
- June/July 2018 - Idaho/Washington
- August/September - Oregon/California
- October 2018 to April 2019 - Western Australia
- Nevada & New Mexico - April/May 2019
- Colorado to Ontario - May/June 2019
- Quebec/New England/Nove Scotia & Prince Edward Island - June/July 2019
- Nova Scotia/Maine/New Hampshire - July/August 2019
- New York to Colorado - September 2019
- Colorado - October 2019
- Colorado to Las Vegas - November 2019
- UK - November 2019
- November to ? - 2020
CENTRAL AMERICA - 2021
- Costa Rica
SOUTH AMERICA - 2021/22
EUROPE - TBC 2023
- Norway (Arctic Circle), Sweden, Finland (Summer)
- Spain (for Winter)
- Turkey (Will leave vehicle in Istanbul - fly to Cape Town)
AFRICA - CAPE TOWN TO CAIRO - 2024
- Join the "Cape to Cape" Group in Cape Town, South Africa
ASIA - ISTANBUL TO JAPAN - 2025/26?
- Istanbul - Turkey
- Caspian Sea
- Volgograd, Russia
- Ulaanbatar, Mongolia
- Vladivostok, Russia
- Ferry to Japan